What is Sativex?
Sativex is an oromucosal spray derived from two strains of cannabis leaf
and flower, cultivated for their controlled proportions of the active compounds
delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and cannabidiol (CBD) (1).
THC and CBD mimic actions of cannabinoid-type chemicals which occur naturally in the human body and have a role in various physiological processes (1,2,3,4,5).
Sativex is indicated as treatment for symptom improvement in adult patients with moderate to severe spasticity due to multiple sclerosis (MS) who have not responded adequately to other anti-spasticity medication and who demonstrate clinically significant improvement in spasticity related symptoms during an initial trial of therapy (1).
Treatment with Sativex must be initiated and supervised by a physician with specialist expertise in treating this patient population (1).
- Sativex Summary of Product Characteristics.
- Ryan D, Drysdale AJ, Lafourcade C, Pertwee RG & Platt B. Cannabidiol Targets Mitochondria to Regulate Intracellular Ca2+ Levels. J Neurosci 2009;29(7):2053–2063.
- Carrier E, Auchampach JA & Hillard CJ. Inhibition of an equilibrative nucleoside transporter by cannabidiol: A mechanism of cannabinoid immunosuppression. PNAS 2006;103(20):7895–7900.
- Karniol IG & Carlini EA. Pharmacological Interaction between Cannabidiol and Δ-9-Tetrahydrocannabinol Psychopharmacologia 1973;33:53-70.
- Zuardi AW, Shirakawa I, Finkelfarb E, & Karniol IG Action of Cannabidiol on the Anxiety and Other Effects Produced by Δ 9-THC in Normal Subjects 1983 Psychopharmacology 1982;76:245-250.